Many people want to look good and stay healthy. There are many ways to do this but one of the simplest ways is by running. One can run anywhere and feel good while doing it. Just don’t be the person, who releases their dog from the outside fence to run after it, in order to burn calories. In addition, running behind a friend’s car, while getting pulled, is also not an adequate running exercise.
Let’s get back to the topic at hand though. Running has many perks. Here is a list of them:
Perks of Running:
1) Strengthens peoples’ hearts: Running for at least 5-10 mins a day will reduce the risk of attaining cardiovascular disease. “Every time you run, you decrease your resting heart rate, so your heart doesn't need to work as hard, says exercise physiologist Greg Justice, founder of AYC Health & Fitness in Kansas City” (https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/benefits-of-running/). It’s not recommended to eat two cheeseburgers from McDonald’s before working out though just to prove a point. One’s heart would disagree with that decision.
2) The Anticipated Runner’s High: When people run, their brain produces the two happy chemicals, endorphins and endocannibinoids. The second word does sound eerily similar to cannabis, right? Well, that’s because it is. Endocannibinoids are comparable to marijuana’s mood changing chemical, THC. Suffice to say, a person will feel good while and after running.
3) Running Strengthens One’s Joints: Runners are half as likely to suffer from knee osteoarthritis compared to walkers. Every time a runner’s feet hits the pavement, their bones and cartilage become stressed. This causes runners’ bodies to become stronger. Please don’t jump up and down on the pavement though to increase muscle strength. The neighbors may offer funny looks.
4) Running Burns Calories: “The average 150 lb person will burn about 12.2 calories per minute running a 10-minute mile on flat terrain, Hamilton says” (https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/benefits-of-running). Imagine how many calories one could burn running up hills with wind? Just don’t be like Jack though and fall down the hill. Thankfully, Jack was walking and the reader will be running so no harm will be done.
5) Running Strengthens One’s Legs: The hamstrings, calves, quads, and glutes will all become stronger. So after a while of running, modeling one’s legs may start to become enticing. The runners will want to contact their favorite running magazine if this begins to occur, however.
6) Develops One’s Core: The erector spinae, transverse abdominus, and obliques become strengthened. These muscles’ duties are to aid in tightening peoples’ stomachs, balancing their spines, and building up power to humans’ swinging arms and legs. Basically, people will resemble Captain America after running for a while. They don’t have to wear the red, white, and blue suits if they don’t want to though.
7) People Can Run at Any Time: Runners can run at 6 am for 15 minutes before their kids wake up, while they’re traveling, and participants do not need to run in a gym. Human beings are busy creatures and added stressors such as driving to a gym can increase stress levels. Running just requires putting on work out clothes and stepping outside to move fast. And thankfully, many humans learned to put on clothes when they were young. With the exception of living in a nudist community, there has not been many naked runners witnessed on the streets. With that being said, it is more convenient to just step outside and run with clothes on than to drive to a gym while wearing workout clothes.
8) One Can Run at this Very Moment: "With running, there's not much of a 'learning curve' like there might be with other fitness activities like group dance classes, Olympic lifting, CrossFit, or yoga (https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/benefits-of-running/?page=10). A person also does not need to exhibit a disciplined movement style like one does while swimming. Onlookers will never witness a runner performing a breast or freestyle stroke. However, a runner performing the breast stroke would be a great addition for a street art performance. In essence, running is a reflexive activity that anyone can do so just go out and have fun!